Volunteer / Job Opportunities
Accepting Applications for Sales & Archive Manager
Open Studio is a non-profit, charitable artist-run centre for contemporary printmaking practice, providing multi-faceted services, facilities, programs and information to artists and the public.
The Sales & Archive Manager is a full-time position, overseeing all aspects of the sales program and maintaining Open Studio’s collections and archive. The Sales & Archive Manager will develop and organize our new retail space and present and promote the work of our artist members to clients and the general public. The Sales & Archive Manager will also develop best practices for the organization, maintenance and conservation of Open Studio’s collections and archive.
- Engages clients and the general public in sales oriented conversations about fine art prints and the print medium
- Develops strong relationships with artist members, clients, visiting artists, volunteers and staff to support the goals and objectives of Open Studio
- Works with the Executive Director to set, obtain and communicate daily, weekly and monthly sales goals
- In consultation with staff, devises a cohesive merchandising and print display strategy
- Assists in digitizing, updating and maintaining the organization’s e-commerce store
- Manages and maintains Open Studio’s collections and archive
- Manages both artwork and client databases, performing data entry as needed
- Builds on existing and potential partnerships with similar organizations
- Represents Open Studio with a high level of integrity and professionalism, and supports its goals and objectives
- Degree in fine art, museum studies, arts administration, retail services or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years experience working in a retail environment possibly in an arts centre and/or museum
- Demonstrated financial management experience
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and data management skills
- Computer skills in MS Office Suite and Adobe Photoshop are considered an asset
- Knowledge of, and respect for diverse aesthetic, cultural and ideological points of view and the ability to facilitate productive exchange
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule
- Ability to work as a team member in a small, open and busy environment
Full-time Position, 35 hours/week
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Open Studio offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Application deadline: Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 11:59 EST. Late applications will not be considered.
Start date: September 4, 2018
Email cover letter and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include name of position in email subject line. All documents should be sent as a single pdf. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Open Studio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Open Studio is committed to equity, diversity, accessibility and inclusiveness in its employment practices and we respect the right of applicants and employees to fair and equitable treatment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Throughout the year Open Studio has many volunteer and work opportunities made available. We’re always growing and looking for more ways to expand our community. We can also host academic internships facilitated through accredited institutions. Please fill out the volunteer questionnaire here or contact us for more information at email@example.com.
Work Exchange Opportunities
The Open Studio Work Exchange program offers printmakers and artists from all backgrounds a variety of work opportunities that assist the artist-run centre while providing candidates with free studio rent and education access. The program is a great chance for artists to become involved in the studio community, gain professional experience in areas such as: administration, education, marketing and studio technical support, and expand their artistic careers. The program runs for three to six months with a requirement of 5-10 hours per week, dependent on the type of placement. All printmakers and non-printmakers are encouraged to apply.
Interested individuals should submit a short letter of interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for Print Instructors
Open Studio’s education committee accepts applications on an ongoing basis from artists who wish to teach at Open Studio. Applicants are encouraged to apply for one of our 8-week classes in lithography, etching, or water-based screenprinting. Classes run on Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6:30-9:30 pm and are offered three times a year beginning in early October, February and May. In addition to our 8-week courses we also accept proposals for a variety of printmaking workshops. Workshops run on weekends and consist of 10-14 hours of instruction. Depending on the amount of student preparation, workshops can be held on a Saturday and Sunday of one weekend or can be spread over two weekends.
The rate of pay is $30.00 per hour. Please visit our education page to review programs.
Instructors will prepare a written course outline, design and implement a curriculum in the appropriate medium, provide printmaking instruction to students and act as a technical resource during our eight week and workshop programs. Instructors are responsible for ensuring safe and appropriate use of the studio and equipment, familiarizing students with the safe handling and use of materials and tools, etc. Instructors are also responsible for, and will supervise, cleanup of the studio following classes. Other responsibilities may be assigned as necessary.
- Be a practicing artist and/or have proven expertise in the appropriate printmaking media
- Be familiar with studio equipment, use and printmaking health and safety procedures
- Have previous teaching experience or proven excellence in communication and interpersonal skills appropriate for teaching
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter indicating past teaching experience and resume to email@example.com with the following subject line: “Call for Instructors.” We’re grateful for all applications, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.