NOTE: Are you an approved studio member? Scroll down to book equipment and purchase rent. Studio access is offered to approved members who have received an orientation. Book an orientation here. Have questions? Email us.
Our priority is to support artists in the creation and exhibition of contemporary print in an open-minded, inclusive, safe and collaborative environment.
Open Studio is located in the 401 Richmond (suite #104) arts-and-culture hub in downtown Toronto. We have a spacious (6,000 sq/ft) and barrier-free facility that incorporates traditional and new printmaking techniques (including screenprinting, lithography and intaglio/relief printing; see the print glossary for details). For more information about our studio and equipment, please click here. Access a virtual tour of the facilities here.
STUDIO ACCESS + HEALTH & SAFETY
Currently, Open Studio will require all studio users to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 when arriving for their first day of studio use. What we will need to see:
- Enhanced Vaccine Certificate [QR code], paper or digital copy. Available for download here
- Proof of identification that lists your name and date of birth (FAQs here)
- Members must sign our usage policies & health and safety waiver [before you book time/purchase rent]; please email to receive it.
Studio Access Notes
- Studio facilities are open 24/7 for pre-approved members (who have received a studio orientation).
- New member orientations have resumed; join our waitlist here.
- Approved members must have a studio and a building fob to access the space.
- Approved members must hold current membership.
- Approved members must book studio equipment to for access.
- Masks are required, physical distancing is maintained and members are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing their areas.
HOW TO ACCESS THE STUDIO (For new renters)
Step 1: Book a Portfolio Meeting & Studio Orientation
To access the studio facilities an artist should have some technical knowledge to work safely and independently in the space. Interested artists are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Studio Access” to discuss the next steps. Please note that we are currently working through a backlog of interested studio users and will get back to you as soon as possible!
HOW TO ACCESS THE STUDIO
Step 2: Purchase Membership
Open Studio is a member-based, artist-run centre that aims to operate as a safe, open and collaborative studio space. Artists from Canada and abroad enjoy the many benefits of membership, including discounts to art supply stores, workshops, studio rental rates and opportunities for exhibitions and professional development.
- Annual membership fee: $125 (renewals occur annually between Sept-Nov); members will be issued a card
- Recent post-grads receive a 25% discount (must inform admin prior to purchasing membership)
- A studio rental fee (we have a variety of rental options, see below)
- New members will be asked to work during staff hours before they are issued fobs for 24hr access
- Review current Membership benefits and requirements here and a list of our members here
- Note: membership is available to all those who express interest regardless of active studio use
HOW TO ACCESS THE STUDIO
Step 3: Purchase Rent
We provide access to our printmaking studio through a variety of rental options. Studio rent covers all in-house materials such as acids, solvents, cleaning solutions, rags, and any other chemicals required.
Prior to renting, you must hold current membership and sign our usage policies & health and safety waiver. Please note that passes expire one year from the time of purchase, and monthly passes run a consecutive 30 days. Rental purchases are final sale, and prices are subject to change.
- Members can also rent a flat-file drawer or locker at $25 per month or $75 per year
HOW TO ACCESS THE STUDIO
Step 4: Book Equipment
- Booking slots: six-hour time-slots, which can be booked in consecutive blocks if you require more time.
- More information about studio equipment here. Need help booking? Access the booking tutorial: here
FAQ: HOW TO ACCESS THE STUDIO
I’ve never done printmaking but I want to become a member? Can I?
Yes! We are always happy to welcome new members. You do not have to use our facility to qualify for membership.
If I want to use the studio, do I need to become a member?
Yes, membership gives you a lot of added benefits including discounts at various art stores and access to special submission calls. Membership is renewed annually.
Do I need formal education in print to access the studio?
You do not have to have a formal printmaking background in order to access the studio. Members must be able to print on their own safely in a shared studio space. Our education program is a great way to become familiar with printmaking. Our courses offer the fundamentals of printmaking and are geared toward beginners and advanced printmakers.
I have printmaking experience but it’s been a while since I practiced. What can I do to refresh my skills and gain access?
Consider taking one of our education classes, which are open to the public, and are a great way to start accessing the studio. If you’re looking for a quick refresh, you could also book private instruction or take an open session class. Our open session classes take place after-hours and are meant to be a bridge into the studio. Often open session classes are attended by those who have taken some of our classes and/or want some supervision before working on their own in the print studio.
Can I access all of the studio?
Yes, we’re an open-access barrier-free studio! However, your portfolio must show technical skills in each area you want to use.
We’re here to make the experience a great one for you and want to instil a love of printmaking in your life. Our goal is to make you feel comfortable working in the studio independently and to become a part of our great print community.
I’m Ready to Schedule a Meeting!
To schedule a meeting, please email.