Click HERE to view our visiting guide here for ongoing updates. Please note that orientations for new studio users have resumed [we will be working through a backlog and contacting those who have expressed interest as soon as possible].
Our priority is to support artists in the creation and exhibition of contemporary print in an open-minded, inclusive, safe and collaborative environment. We have a spacious [6,000 sq/ft] and barrier-free facility that incorporates traditional and new printmaking techniques [including screenprinting, lithography and intaglio/relief printing; see the print glossary for details]. For more information about our studio and equipment, please click here.
To access the studio facilities independently, you should have some technical print knowledge to work safely on your own; however, we can also help you gain experience to become familiar with the studio if you do not have a printmaking background. Interested individuals are asked to email email@example.com with the “Studio Access” subject line to discuss the next steps.
STUDIO ACCESS & HEALTH & SAFETY
Open Studio is located on the ground floor of 401 Richmond, Suite #104
Health & Safety Update: Please note that until further notice, all studio users will need to provide proof of vaccination [on their first visit] and continue to wear masks. If you have any questions, please get in touch with us by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Studio Access Health & Safety Notes
Health & Safety Update: Please note that until further notice, all studio users will need to provide proof of vaccination (on their first visit) and continue to wear masks.
- Prior to visiting, please perform a self-check. Please postpone your visit if you are not feeling well
- Studio facilities are open 24/7 for pre-approved studio users [who have received a studio orientation]
- Orientations for new studio users have resumed; we’re working through a backlog and will be in touch ASAP
- The studio will continue to operate with a maximum of 14 people in the space
- Studio users will need to provide proof of vaccination when arriving for their first day of studio use
- Studio users must sign our usage policies & health and safety waiver; email us
- Studio bookings are mandatory in order to reserve and guarantee equipment access
- Studio access bookings are reserved for six-hour time-slots, which can be booked in consecutive blocks
- Studio users must have fobs for the 401 Richmond building and the studio doors to gain access
- Approved studio users can purchase rent online here and book equipment online here
- Studio users are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing their areas
- The studio kitchen is open and limited to 2 people
- Masks must be worn at all times in the building and physical distancing maintained
401 Richmond West: Open Studio, Suite #104 [ground floor]
- Open Studio is located on the ground floor of 401 Richmond, Suite #104
- 401 Richmond hours: Tuesday – Friday, 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm, Saturday, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm [closed Sundays]
- Open Studio occupies 6,400 square feet, has high ceilings, and excellent ventilation systems in place
- Our space is wheelchair accessible
- If you are unable to access the building, please get in touch with us by email or call 416-504-8238
Open Studio is a member-based, artist-run centre. When you apply and/or renew your membership we’ll provide you with a membership card. Those interested in accessing our studio facilities must hold current membership. Membership renewals occur annually (between September – November), and the current rate is set at $125. To renew, please click below.
Please note that membership does not imply immediate studio access. Studio access is only offered after orientation and purchase of studio rent.
To purchase membership or to renew, please contact us by email. If you would like to make a donation to the studio to support our programs, please click the donate button below.
Purchase Rent & Book Equipment
Prior to renting and booking equipment, you must hold current membership [purchase above] and sign our usage policies & health and safety waiver [before booking time/purchasing rent]; please email us [email@example.com] to receive it.
We provide access to our printmaking studio through a variety of rental options: one-day passes, booklets of 5-day passes, monthly rentals, and 12-month rental [can begin any time]. Studio rent covers all in-house materials such as acids, solvents, cleaning solutions, rags, and any other chemicals required. Members can also rent a flat-file drawer or locker at $25 per month or $75 per year [subject to availability]. Please note that passes expire one year from the time of purchase, and a monthly pass is valid until the end of the month in which it is purchased. Rental purchases are final sale, and prices are subject to change.
After purchasing rent, studio users can book equipment. Booking slots: six-hour time-slots, which can be booked in consecutive blocks. More information about studio equipment here. Need help booking? Access the booking tutorial: here.
I’ve never done printmaking but I want to become a member? Can I?
Yes! We are always happy to welcome new members. You do not have to use our facility to qualify for membership.
If I want to use the studio, do I need to become a member?
Yes, membership gives you a lot of added benefits including discounts at various art stores and access to special submission calls. Membership is renewed annually.
Do I need formal education in print to access the studio?
You do not have to have a formal printmaking background in order to access the studio. Members must be able to print on their own safely in a shared studio space. Our education program is a great way to become familiar with printmaking. Our courses offer the fundamentals of printmaking and are geared toward beginners and advanced printmakers.
I have printmaking experience but it’s been a while since I practiced. What can I do to refresh my skills and gain access?
Consider taking one of our education classes, which are open to the public, and are a great way to start accessing the studio. If you’re looking for a quick refresh, you could also book private instruction or take an open session class. Our open session classes take place after-hours and are meant to be a bridge into the studio. Often open session classes are attended by those who have taken some of our classes and/or want some supervision before working on their own in the print studio.
Can I access all of the studio?
Yes, we’re an open-access barrier-free studio! However, your portfolio must show technical skills in each area you want to use.
We’re here to make the experience a great one for you and want to instil a love of printmaking in your life. Our goal is to make you feel comfortable working in the studio independently and to become a part of our great print community.