December 7, 2015
Call for Submissions: Editions 2016
Attention Canadian Printmakers
Deadline for submissions of digital images: Monday, February 1, 2016, 11:59 pm EST.
Deadline for submissions of accepted prints: Friday, March 11, 2016, 5:00 pm EST.
Editions is Open Studio’s biggest annual fundraising event, providing necessary revenue in support of programs and operations, including affordable and equal access to printmaking facilities, exhibitions, education, professional development opportunities for artists and artist residencies. Editions 2016 will take place on Wednesday, May 4, 2016.
We ask artists to support this event by donating your best printmaking works to us. All work selected for inclusion by the jury is eligible for the Open Studio Editions Residency Award, which provides the recipient with 4 free weeks in the Studio, and $300 worth of materials. A charitable tax receipt for 100% of the value of each print will also be issued if your work is selected for inclusion in Editions. All Canadian printmakers are eligible; you do not need to be affiliated with Open Studio to participate.
- A maximum of two unframed prints per artist. Maximum paper size for each work is 30″ x 44″ (or 44″ x 30″). Diptychs will be accepted provided the combined size does not exceed 30″ x 44″ at either orientation.
- Three-dimensional works will be accepted; however, no assembly of the work must be required, and dimensions of 3D work (including any housing/case/support) must not exceed 16″ x 12″ x 12″ (height x width x depth).
- If you are unsure whether your work qualifies for the 2D or 3D size restrictions, please email us.
- Eligible works include any work that is (in whole or in major part): aquatint, collagraph, engraving, etching, linocut, lithography, mezzotint, monoprint, monotype, pochoir (stencil), relief, screenprint, wood engraving or woodcut printed by you or otherwise printed in Canada. Works may be unique or from an edition small in number.
- No archival digital or giclée prints will be accepted unless one of the above-approved media is incorporated.
- Works must have been created within the past 5 years.
- The minimum value of each individual donated print must be $375. Work submitted must be priced in accordance with the value of the artwork and current retail prices (i.e. do not increase value to meet the $375 criteria). Please ensure that you have proof of fair market value as per CRA guidelines (sales invoice, appraisal or similar) available upon request.
- Submissions will be juried from digital images only, not actual prints. Therefore you must complete the online submission form. So that the jury is able to view an accurate representation of your work, please make sure all digital images are evenly lit, colour accurate and cropped to include only the artwork.
- If your work is selected by the jury, you will then receive instructions for submitting your actual prints. Please note that accepted works will be required to arrive no later than March 11, 2016 at 5 pm EST.
Deadline for submissions: Monday, February 1, 2016, 5 pm. No extensions will be provided. Questions? Please email.