December 15, 2014
Call for Submissions: Editions
Attention Canadian Printmakers
Deadline for submissions: Saturday, February 21, 2015, 5 pm.
Donate to Open Studio’s Editions for your chance to win the Open Studio Editions Residency Award. Replacing the Open Studio National Printmaking Awards, the new Open Studio Editions Residency Award provides the recipient with 4 free weeks in the Studio, along with $300 worth of materials.
Editions is a major fundraising event for Open Studio, providing necessary revenue in support of programs and operations, including affordable and equal access to printmaking facilities, exhibitions, education, professional development opportunities for artists and scholarships for emerging artists. Taking place on Thursday, May 14, 2015, Editions 2015 is a refreshed take on Open Studio’s 100 Prints.
We ask artists to support this event by donating your best printmaking works to us. All work selected for inclusion by the jury is eligible for the Open Studio Editions Residency Award. A charitable tax receipt for 100% of the value of each print will also be issued if your work is selected for inclusion in Editions. All Canadian printmakers are eligible; you do not need to be affiliated with Open Studio to participate.
- A maximum of two unframed prints per artist. The maximum paper size for each work is 30 x 44 inches. Diptychs will be accepted provided the combined size does not exceed the 30 x 44 inches.
- Three-dimensional works will be accepted; however, no assembly of the work must be required, and dimensions of 3D work (including any housing/case/support) must not exceed 12 x 16 x 12 inches (width x height x depth).
- If you are unsure whether your work qualifies for the 2D or 3D size restrictions, please contact Open Studio prior to sending your work.
- Eligible works include any work that is (in whole or in major part): a lithograph, screenprint, etching, engraving, drypoint, aquatint, mezzotint, monotype, woodcut, linocut or collagraph printed by you or otherwise printed in Canada. Works may be unique or from an edition small in number.
- No archival digital or giclée prints will be accepted unless one of the above-approved media is incorporated.
- Works must have been created within the past 3 years.
- Minimum value of each individual donated print must be $375. Work submitted must be priced in accordance with the value of the artwork and current retail prices (i.e. do not increase value to meet the $385 criteria). Please ensure that you have proof of fair market value as per CRA guidelines (sales invoice, appraisal or similar) available upon request.
- Works must be received in excellent condition and meet professional presentation criteria as established by Open Studio. Works deemed to be damaged will not be considered by the jury. Please follow our packing instructions when mailing work.
- You must complete the online submission form, including images of the work submitted, and a brief CV (one page front/back max). Work should be photographed against a neutral background.
- When the submission form has been completed, please print one copy of the confirmation email you will receive for each print you are submitting and include with your mailed/delivered print submission. Do not tape the form to print.
- Send works to: Editions 2015
c/o Open Studio
401 Richmond Street West, Suite 104
Toronto ON M5V 3A8
- Artists outside Toronto, or who cannot pick up work not selected by the jury, please include postage to cover return of work; use only stamps or International Postage Reply Coupons, not prepaid, dated postage meter tapes, which expire & will be unusable by the time the jury has taken place.
Deadline for submissions: Saturday, February 21, 2015, 5 pm. No extensions will be provided. Submissions will be accepted starting January 20, 2015. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-504-8238.