Submissions are closed. The next application deadline will occur in the spring of 2023.
The production phase of our residencies would begin in the fall of 2022 at the earliest and may be delayed until the spring of 2023. Residencies with exhibitions would be scheduled for 2023-24.
As part of Open Studio’s ongoing commitment to becoming a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive organization, we are excited to share that our next calls for residencies and exhibitions are directed to artists who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People(s) of Colour (BIPOC). Our Visiting Artist Residency call is directed specifically to Black artists with an interest in print. This will result in an upcoming year of public programming (running September 2023 – July 2024) that will celebrate and support the work of BIPOC creators working across print-based media.
Each year one Open Studio artist member* will go to Atelier Circulaire for a two-week residency, and in return, one artist member from Atelier Circulaire will come to Open Studio for two weeks.
*Most of our opportunities are open to the public, and some are specifically for our membership. If you would like to purchase membership or to renew, please contact us by email).
- Open only to Open Studio Artist Members (To purchase membership or to renew, please contact us by email)
- The artist must demonstrate the ability to work safely in a print studio
- Artist members must wait one programming year before applying again to the artist member exchange with Atelier Circulaire
*To find out how you can become a member of our community of artists, click here.
- Two weeks of consecutive access
- Storage included for the duration of residency
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- Possibility for prints to be consigned for sale through the Open Studio Shop
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community
Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- The participating artist will work with Open Studio and Atelier Circulaire to coordinate scheduling
Submissions will be juried and notification sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline.
Residency submissions are selected by a jury consisting of:
• Open Studio’s Curator & Collections Manager
• A member of the Open Studio’s Programming Committee
• An Open Studio artist member
• Two external jurors from the wider arts community
•*Open Studio’s Studio & Education Manager (*Is present to advise and consult but does not vote)
All applicants will be notified of the outcome. Please note that due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback.
READY TO APPLY?
Please fill out the application form below. If you do not see the form below, check back closer to the submission date. Most applications are opened for submissions a month before the deadline. If you have questions, please email us, we would be happy to help.