Submission Deadline: Monday, May 31, 2021, 11:59 PM EST
Black, Indigenous, People(s) of Colour Emerging Artist Residency provides an emerging artist with an eight-month-long residency to learn print. The recipient will receive one-on-one instruction and eight consecutive months of studio time to create and explore a specific project.
This scholarship has been created to actively make space specifically for Black, Indigenous, People(s) of Colour artists to engage with Open Studio and contemporary printmaking practices, but artists are openly encouraged to apply to all programs that Open Studio offers, from other scholarships/fellowships to our annual exhibition calls and our visiting artist program.
- An emerging* artist with an interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply
*Emerging: artists in the early years of their artistic careers who have either a small exhibition record (up to three years) or no exhibition record.
- Eight consecutive months of consecutive studio access with two of those spent on one-on-one instruction (up to 60 hours)
- 20 hours of mentorship by a Black/Indigenous/Person of Colour facilitator-coordinator
- $1,000 materials bursary
- Storage for the duration of residency
- Feature Wall exhibition; CARFAC installation artist fee will be issued
- $300 artist talk fee
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- Print sales consignment will be considered
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- Artist talk to discuss the process/project
- Provide the studio with two fundraising prints
- Provide the printer with one printer’s proof from each edition
Submissions will be juried and notifications sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the competition.
READY TO APPLY?
Please fill out the application form below. If you do not see the form below, check back closer to the submission date. Most applications are opened for submission a month before the deadline. If you have questions, please email us, we would be happy to help.