The next application deadline will occur in the spring of 2023.
The Emerging Printmaker Scholarship Residency (formerly the Don Phillips Scholarship) provides an emerging printmaker who has graduated within the last two years (from a post-secondary institution, college or undergraduate program with a focus on print) with a year-long residency to explore and create a specific project.
- Open to recent (last two years) *emerging artist graduates from a post-secondary institution, college or undergraduate program with a focus on print
- The artist must provide contact information of two academic references familiar with your work
- The artist must demonstrate the ability to work safely in a print studio
*Emerging: artists in the early years of their artistic careers with either a small exhibition record (up to three years) or no exhibition record.
- Twelve months of studio access*
- Education: access to a course/workshop
- $800 materials bursary
- Storage for the duration of residency
- Open Studio Membership
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community
- We welcome local, national, and international applications, but please note that the artist(s) is responsible for travel and accommodation
*Minimum stay of eight consecutive months. Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- Open Studio may request up to two fundraising prints
Submissions will be juried, and notification will be sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline.
Residency submissions are selected by a jury consisting of:
• Open Studio’s Curator & Collections Manager
• A member of the Open Studio’s Programming Committee
• An Open Studio artist member
• Two external jurors from the wider arts community
• Open Studio’s Studio & Education Manager (Is present to advise and consult but does not vote)
All applicants will be notified of the outcome. Please note that due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback.
READY TO APPLY?
Please fill out the application form below. If you do not see the form below, check back closer to the submission date. Most applications are open for submissions a month before the deadline. If you have questions, please email us; we would be happy to help.