The next application deadline will occur in the spring of 2023.
Open Studio’s Visiting Artist (VA) Residency provides mid-career or established artists with the opportunity to realize a creative project in print media using methods that range from traditional to experimental approaches. As a VA, you will work with a collaborative printer in the studio to create print-based work(s), which will be exhibited post-production in a group show in Open Studio’s Main Gallery. Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply.
VA Residency projects will be scheduled between September and April, starting at least one year following the application deadline.
*We issue three VA residencies per programming year.
- Mid-career* or established artists with interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply
*Mid-career or Established: artists with an exhibition record minimum of 5 years.
BENEFITS OFFERED PER VA
- Two months of consecutive studio access
- $2,400 of collaborative printer assistance (up to 60 hours)
- $300 materials bursary
- Storage for the duration of residency
- Main Gallery group exhibition alongside other VAs; CARFAC artist fee will be issued
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community
Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
OBLIGATIONS PER VA
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- Provide the studio with two fundraising prints
- Provide the printer with one printer’s proof from each edition
Submissions will be juried, and notification will be sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline.
Residency submissions are selected by a jury consisting of:
• Open Studio’s Curator & Collections Manager
• A member of the Open Studio’s Programming Committee
• An Open Studio artist member
• Two external jurors from the wider arts community
•*Open Studio’s Studio & Education Manager (*Is present to advise and consult but does not vote)
All applicants will be notified of the outcome. Please note that due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback.
READY TO APPLY?
Please fill out the application form below. If you do not see the form below, check back closer to the submission date. Most applications are opened for submissions a month before the deadline. If you have questions, please email us, we would be happy to help.