Submission Deadline: Monday, June 28, 2022, at 11:59 pm EST.
The production phase of our residencies would begin in the fall of 2022 at the earliest and may be delayed until the spring of 2023. Residencies with exhibitions would be scheduled for 2023-24.
As part of Open Studio’s ongoing commitment to becoming a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive organization, we are excited to share that our next calls for residencies and exhibitions are directed to artists who identify as Black, Indigenous, or People(s) of Colour (BIPOC). This will result in an upcoming year of public programming (running September 2023 – July 2024) that will celebrate and support the work of BIPOC creators working across print-based media.
Our Visiting Artist Residency call is directed specifically to Black artists with an interest in print.
Open Studio’s Visiting Artist (VA) Residency provides mid-career or established artists with the opportunity to realize a creative project in print media using methods that range from traditional to experimental approaches. As a VA, you will work with a collaborative printer in the studio to create print-based work(s), which will be exhibited post-production in a group show in Open Studio’s Main Gallery. Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply.
VA Residency projects will be scheduled between September and April, starting a minimum of one year following the application deadline.
*We issue three VA residencies per programming year.
- Mid-career* or established artists with an interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with an interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply
*Mid-career or Established: artists with an exhibition record minimum of 5 years.
BENEFITS OFFERED PER VA
- Two months of consecutive studio access
- $2,400 of collaborative printer assistance (up to 60 hours)
- $300 materials bursary
- Storage for the duration of residency
- Main Gallery group exhibition alongside other VAs; CARFAC artist fee will be issued
- $300 artist talk fee
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- Possibility for prints to be consigned for sale through the Open Studio Shop
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community
Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
OBLIGATIONS PER VA
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- Artist talk to discuss the process/project
- Provide the studio with two fundraising prints
- Provide the printer with one printer’s proof from each edition
Submissions will be juried and notification sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline.
Residency submissions are selected by a jury consisting of:
• Open Studio’s Curator & Collections Manager
• A member of the Open Studio’s Programming Committee
• An Open Studio artist member
• Two external jurors from the wider arts community
•*Open Studio’s Studio & Education Manager (*Is present to advise and consult but does not vote)
All applicants will be notified of the outcome. Please note that due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback.
READY TO APPLY?
Please fill out the application form below. If you do not see the form below, check back closer to the submission date. Most applications are opened for submissions a month before the deadline. If you have questions, please email us, we would be happy to help.