Don Phillips Scholarship Residency
Submission Deadline: September 15
The Don Phillips Scholarship is for a student currently enrolled in an undergraduate art program (full or part-time) with a printmaking major at an accredited Canadian institution who will be graduating in the Spring of the year of application and who will not be returning to studies full-time in September.
- Students from all Canadian post-secondary institutions are eligible.
- The recipient will be chosen based on artistic merit.
- The recipient’s main activity will be in print media.
- The recipient must have sufficient technical ability to be able to work independently in a cooperative facility.
- Please note that you must also submit contact information of two academic references from a post-secondary instructor who is familiar with your work.
The scholarship recipient will receive the following:
- Open Studio is equipped for artists working with photographic, digital and other hybrid art forms within print media.
- Rent free access to Open Studio’s facilities for a period of one year starting the September following the application submission. There will be a minimum stay of eight months.
- Materials up to $1000 to be purchased through Open Studio for use during the tenure of the residency. Materials fees beyond this budget will be the responsibility of the artist.
- Assistance for professional workshops up to a maximum of $500.
- Tuition free access to workshops and one eight-week class offered by Open Studio (subject to courses having met minimum enrolment and having not exceeded the maximum).
- Exhibition in the George Gilmour Gallery with an exhibition fee: $300.
- Promotion through Open Studio via website and other marketing initiatives.
- Print sales consignment will be considered.
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community in Toronto.
The scholarship recipient will be required to:
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period.
- Provide the studio with two fundraising prints.
- Provide the printer with one printer’s proof from each edition.
Submissions will be juried and notification sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the competition.