Nick Novak Fellowship Residency
Submission Deadline: TBD
Update: Submissions’ due date TBD; we have paused submissions at this time.
About & Eligibility
The Nick Novak Fellowship is a year-long residency that provides one Open Studio artist member with unlimited access to Open Studio’s production facilities. The fellowship supports long-term projects, and a final exhibition in the main Open Studio Gallery.
Please note that only current Open Studio artist members who have been a member for a minimum of one year are eligible to be considered for the Nick Novak Fellowship.
The fellowship recipient will receive the following:
- Open Studio is equipped for artists working with photographic, digital and other hybrid art forms within print media.
- Rent free access to Open Studio’s facilities for a period of one year starting the September following the application submission. There will be a minimum stay of eight months.
- Materials up to $1000 to be purchased through Open Studio for use during the tenure of the residency. Materials fees beyond this budget will be the responsibility of the artist.
- Assistance for professional workshops up to a maximum of $500.
- Tuition free access to workshops and one eight-week class offered by Open Studio (subject to courses having met minimum enrolment and having not exceeded the maximum).
- Exhibition with an artist fee in accordance with the CARFAC schedule.
- Promotion through Open Studio via website and other marketing initiatives.
- Print sales consignment will be considered.
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community in Toronto.
The fellowship recipient will be required to:
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the fellowship period.
- Provide the studio with two fundraising prints.
- Provide the printer with one printer’s proof from each edition.
Submissions will be juried and notification sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the competition.