Visiting Artist Residency Program
Submission Deadline: November 2
About & Eligibility
Open Studio’s Visiting Artist residency program provides professional artists with the opportunity to realize a creative project in print media using methods that range from traditional to experimental approaches, regardless of the artists’ familiarity with or experience in print media. Although technical skills are not taught during the residency, artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply.
If your application has been selected, and prior to scheduled residency dates, an in-person meeting or phone meeting is planned between Open Studio’s Technical Director and the Visiting Artist to discuss the planned project. Recognizing that project proposals may change with time or based on the advanced technical input provided by the Technical Director, we will do our best to accommodate necessary changes from the original proposal, keeping in mind program limitations. Once the project details have been finalized and agreed to by both the Technical Director and the Visiting Artist, a skilled collaborative printer or printer’s assistant is subcontracted, as deemed appropriate.
The role of the collaborative printer is to print projects for those artists who lack the technical skill to print for themselves. Artists who do possess the necessary technical skills to realize their project may request the support of a printer’s assistant, based on project requirements. Neither the collaborative printers nor printer’s assistants are in the studio on a full time basis; the Technical Director will coordinate a mutually agreeable schedule. Unlike some residencies, Visiting Artists are not expected to be in the studio on a full-time basis during the residency period; the actual time spent by the Visiting Artist will vary, taking into consideration specific project needs.
Visiting Artist Residency Projects will be scheduled to take place between the months of September and April, starting a minimum of one year following the application deadline.
The Visiting Artist will receive the following benefits:
- Open Studio is equipped for artists working with photographic, digital and other hybrid art forms within print media.
- Up to two months rent-free access to Open Studio’s facilities, subject to project requirements.
- Materials up to $300 to be purchased through Open Studio for use during the tenure of the residency. Materials fees beyond this budget will be the responsibility of the artist.
- Up to 60 hours of support from a collaborative printer or printer’s assistant, as deemed appropriate. Printers’ fees beyond this budget will be the responsibility of the artist.
- An exhibition in conjunction with other Visiting Artists.
- Promotion through Open Studio via website and other marketing initiatives.
- Print sales consignment will be considered.
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community in Toronto.
- *Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
The residency recipient will be required to:
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period.
- Provide the studio with two fundraising prints.
- Provide the printer with one printer’s proof from each edition.
Submissions will be juried and notification sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the competition.