VOLUNTEER & WORK EXCHANGE OPPORTUNITIES
Throughout the year, Open Studio provides numerous volunteer and work exchange opportunities, and hosts academic internships through accredited institutions. Opportunities will be listed on this page as they become available.
The Open Studio Work Exchange program is an excellent opportunity for artists to become involved in the studio community, support the growth of their artistic practice, and gain professional experience in various areas, including arts administration, education programming, marketing and studio technical support.
Work Exchange Benefits: the program runs for three to six months with a requirement of 5 hours per week. Each Work Exchange assistant receives free studio rent (24/7), and membership. Non-printmakers will be offered education courses in return for their commitment.
There are no current Work Exchange opportunities at this time.
JOB OPPORTUNITIES: Teaching Instructors
Open Studio offers printmaking classes throughout the year. Our education program is open to everyone with or without printmaking experience. We provide small class sizes to accommodate different learning styles and offer a personalized experience. We also provide one-on-one / private instruction.
Pay rate: $35/hr, part-time/contract
Term: contract based on class/workshop schedule
Application Deadline: Applicants are considered year-round.
Job Brief: Teaching Instructors
Open Studio’s Education Committee is currently looking for dynamic teaching instructors to deliver hands-on* printmaking courses. Open Studio typically runs 4-week courses (12 hours) and weekend workshops (10-12 hours). We are looking for instructors in the following print techniques:
• Introduction to Screenprinting
• CMYK Screenprinting
• Etching (copper plate)
• Linocut/Woodcut (relief printing)
Have an idea for a print workshop? Pitch your idea to us!
*In-person, may involve some virtual/remote work.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Teach in a collaborative, open and safe environment
• Orient students to the studio equipment and techniques
• Order and prepare class materials
• Assist in developing short course and workshop outlines
• Work with the Technical Director to plan education schedules and provide suggestions for materials
Skills & Experience
• Demonstrated skills in printmaking – for example, screenprinting, lithography, intaglio, relief etc.
• Be familiar with studio equipment, use and printmaking health and safety procedures
• Some experience teaching– this can be within a formalized setting, a community organization, or another environment. We welcome all experiences and perspectives
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated skills to collaborate and work in a team environment
Physical Working Considerations
Please note that a typical workday consists of more than 3 hours of moderate physical effort for activities such as, (but not limited to): standing for extended periods, providing demonstrations and assisting with hands-on printing in the studio.
• Studio access for the duration of your teaching contract(s)
• Access to a community of instructors and printers to collaborate with
• Possibility of paid collaborative printing opportunities
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line Call for Instructors. We are grateful for all applications, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted; no phone calls, please. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Equity & Inclusion
Open Studio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Open Studio is committed to equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusiveness in all its practices. We respect the right of applicants and employees to fair and equitable treatment according to the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and individuals from equity-deserving groups are encouraged to apply.
If you are contacted, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.