CALL FOR TEACHING INSTRUCTORS
Application Deadline: Applicants are considered year-round
Open Studio offers printmaking classes throughout the year. Our education program is open to everyone with or without printmaking experience. We provide small class sizes to accommodate different learning styles and offer a personalized experience. We also provide one-on-one / private instruction.
Pay rate: $30/hr, part-time/contract
Term: contract based on class/workshop schedule
Open Studio’s Education Committee is currently looking for dynamic teaching instructors to deliver hands-on* printmaking courses. Open Studio typically runs 4-week courses (12 hours) and weekend workshops (10-12 hours). We are looking for instructors in the following print techniques:
• Introduction to Screenprinting
• CMYK Screenprinting
• Etching (copper plate)
• Linocut/Woodcut (relief printing)
Have an idea for a print workshop? Pitch your idea to us!
*In-person, may involve some virtual/remote work.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Teach in a collaborative, open and safe environment
• Orient students to the studio equipment and techniques
• Order and prepare class materials
• Assist in developing short course and workshop outlines
• Work with the Technical Director to plan education schedules and provide suggestions for materials
• Demonstrated skills in printmaking – for example, screenprinting, lithography, intaglio, relief etc.
• Be familiar with studio equipment, use and printmaking health and safety procedures
• Some experience teaching– this can be within a formalized setting, a community organization, or another environment. We welcome all experiences and perspectives
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated skills to collaborate and work in a team environment
Physical Working Considerations
Please note that a typical workday consists of more than 3 hours of moderate physical effort for activities such as, (but not limited to): standing for extended periods, providing demonstrations and assisting with hands-on printing in the studio.
• Studio access for the duration of your teaching contract(s)
• Access to a community of instructors and printers to collaborate with
• Possibility of paid collaborative printing opportunities
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re interested in joining our team, please send your resume and cover letter with the following subject line “Call for Instructors” to email@example.com. We are grateful for all applications, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equity & Inclusion
Open Studio is committed to equity and diversity in all aspects of its operations. Open Studio welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and strongly encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities, including racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, women, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
If you are contacted for an interview, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
VOLUNTEER & WORK EXCHANGE OPPORTUNITIES
Throughout the year, Open Studio also has many volunteer and work exchange opportunities made available. We also host academic internships through accredited institutions. Please email us for more information, including the type of opportunity you’re inquiring about in the subject line: example, “Volunteer Opportunity” or “Work Exchange Opportunity.”
The Open Studio Work Exchange program is an excellent opportunity for artists to become involved in the studio community, supporting the growth of their artistic practice, and gaining professional experience in various areas, including arts administration, education programming, marketing and studio technical support. The program runs for three to six months with a requirement of 5 hours per week. Each Work Exchange assistant receives free studio rent or education access in return for their time. All printmakers and non-printmakers are encouraged to apply.