The next application deadline will occur in the spring of 2023.
The Black, Indigenous, People(s) of Colour (BIPOC) Artist Residency provides an artist with a year-long residency to learn printmaking and can include one-on-one instruction. After residency, the recipient will receive a full year of studio access, rent-free.
This residency has been created to actively make space specifically for BIPOC artists to engage with Open Studio and contemporary printmaking practices, but BIPOC artists are encouraged to apply to all programs that Open Studio offers: other scholarships, fellowships, our annual exhibition calls and our visiting artist program. The BIPOC Artist Residency is funded by a member of the Open Studio community.
- Artists with interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply
- Two years of studio access (one year of rent-free access post-residency)
- Education: access to courses/workshops, mentorship and professional development
- *$1,100 materials bursary
- Storage for the duration of the residency
- Open Studio Membership
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community
- We welcome local, national, and international applications, but please note that the artist(s) is responsible for travel and accommodation.
*Offered once during the residency
Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- Open Studio may request up to two fundraising prints
Submissions will be juried, and notification will be sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline.
Residency submissions are selected by a jury consisting of:
• Open Studio’s Curator & Collections Manager
• A member of the Open Studio’s Programming Committee
• An Open Studio artist member
• Two external jurors from the wider arts community
•*Open Studio’s Studio & Education Manager (*Is present to advise and consult but does not vote)
All applicants will be notified of the outcome. Please note that due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback.
READY TO APPLY?
Please fill out the application form below. If you do not see the form below, check back closer to the submission date. Most applications are open for submissions a month before the deadline. If you have questions, please email us; we would be happy to help.