Submission Deadline: spring 2022 (date TBC)
COVID-19 Update: Please note that accommodations will be made for health and safety protocols in the studio as necessary. For applications submitted on May 31st, 2021; residencies would begin in the fall of 2021 at the earliest and may be delayed until the spring of 2022.
The Black, Indigenous, People(s) of Colour (BIPOC) Artist Residency provides an artist with an eight-month-long residency to learn printmaking and includes one-on-one instruction. The resident will receive eight consecutive months of studio time to explore and create a specific project culminating in a Feature Wall exhibition.
This residency has been created to actively make space specifically for BIPOC artists to engage with Open Studio and contemporary printmaking practices, but BIPOC artists are encouraged to apply to all programs that Open Studio offers: other scholarships, fellowships, our annual exhibition calls and our visiting artist program. The BIPOC Artist Residency is funded by a member of the Open Studio community.
- An artist with an interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply
- Eight consecutive months of studio access with two of those spent on one-on-one instruction (up to 60 hours)
- 20 hours of mentorship by a BIPOC facilitator-coordinator
- $1,000 materials bursary
- Storage for the duration of residency
- Open Studio Membership
- Feature Wall exhibition; CARFAC artist fee will be issued
- $300 artist talk fee
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- Opportunity to sell artwork through Open Studio Shop
Please note that while Open Studio does not provide financial support for travel or accommodation, we are happy to supply artists accepted to the program with a letter of support to be used for funding applications.
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- Artist talk to discuss the process/project
- Provide the studio with two fundraising prints
- Provide the printer with one printer’s proof from each edition
Submissions will be juried and notifications sent out approximately eight weeks from the deadline. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the competition.
READY TO APPLY?
Please fill out the application form below. If you do not see the form below, check back closer to the submission date. Most applications are opened for submission a month before the deadline. If you have questions, please email us, we would be happy to help.