BIPOC Artist Residency
The Black, Indigenous, People(s) of Colour (BIPOC) Artist Residency
Next Submission Deadline: June 19, 2023 at 11:59pm ET.
We are excited to announce that our forthcoming public calls for programming in 2024-25 are specifically directed to members of equity-deserving communities, including racialized persons: Black, Indigenous, People(s) of Colour (BIPOC); persons with disabilities, persons living with mental illness, and 2SLGBTQIA+ persons.
Access our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion framework here.
Please note that most of our residencies take place from September to July, specifically year-long residencies, however, timing does alter for shorter-term residencies or project-based residencies and a schedule is determined once a recipient is selected.
We welcome local, national, and international applications, but we do not provide financial support for travel or accommodation. However, we are happy to provide a letter of support for funding applications to artists accepted into the program.
- The BIPOC Artist Residency provides a dedicated space for Black, Indigenous, and People(s) of Colour artists to engage with contemporary printmaking practices at Open Studio.
- This exploratory residency program spans two years and is exclusively for a BIPOC artist, offering them full access to Open Studio’s production facilities, regardless of their printmaking experience. The program aims to support the artist in translating their existing practice into print.
- The call is open to artists with or without prior printmaking experience who are interested in working with printmaking mediums, and there are no restrictions based on exhibition history or lack thereof.
- Residencies take place during Open Studio’s Programming Year, which runs from September to July.
- This public call is open to all artists, regardless of whether they are emerging, mid-career or established, and there are no restrictions based on exhibition history or lack thereof.
- Artists with an interest in working with printmaking mediums
- Artists with and without print experience are encouraged to apply
Note: We welcome local, national, and international applications, but we do not provide financial support for travel or accommodation. However, we are happy to provide a letter of support for funding applications to artists accepted into the program.
- Full two-year access to Open Studio’s production facilities
- **$2, 200 (approx. 60 hours) for education, mentorship and professional development
- **$1, 200 materials bursary
- Storage for the duration of the residency
- Open Studio Membership
- Promotion through Open Studio’s marketing initiatives
- Possibility for prints to be consigned for sale through the Open Studio Shop
- The opportunity to make contacts within Open Studio’s printmaking community
**Offered once during the residency
- Maintain a consistent art production schedule during the tenure of the residency period
- Open Studio may request up to two fundraising prints
Submissions will be juried, and we will send out notifications approximately eight weeks after the deadline. Please note that due to the high volume of submissions, we are unable to provide individual feedback for applications.
Ready to apply?
To apply, please fill out the application form below. If the form is not visible, please check back closer to the submission date. Typically, applications open for submissions one month before the deadline. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com. We’re always happy to help.